Ayurveda has used head massage or Shiroabhyanga as one if it’s most simple yet effective treatments for centuries. Whether enjoyed as part of a luxurious spa treatment or performed at home as part of your essential Dinacharya, or Ayurvedic daily routine, this practice has many benefits.
Just as the roots of a tree nurture and govern the entire plant, so Ayurveda sees our head and mind as the operational center effecting our entire body.
Indian Head Massage has tremendous therapeutic action as well as being an essential relaxation technique. In conjunction with dosha specific therapeutic oils the benefits include:
- Supports the nervous system by alleviating stress
- Stimulates the lymphatic system to eliminate toxins
- Relieves neck and shoulder stiffness
- Increases oxygen uptake and improves circulation
- Eliminates dandruff and nourishes the scalp
- Promotes hair growth and restores strength and shine
In synchronicity with our guiding principles at Mauli, this practice really is creating beauty and wellness inside and out.
Indian Head Massage At Home
- Begin by warming your chosen oil: Sesame or Coconut oil are suitable for all Dosha types or use your favorite blend of massage or hair oil.
- Massage the oil in small circular motions all around your scalp, working from the center of your head towards the front and back. Take your time with this and finish by massaging the temples in a clockwise direction.
- Next, look down slightly and massage the back of the neck by squeezing and rolling the muscles. Begin at the top of the neck and work your way down, first with one hand and then with the other hand. Continue with the sides of the neck rolling right out to the shoulders.
- With the neck and shoulders relaxed now slowly rotate the head first anti-clockwise and then in a clockwise direction.
- Concentrating now on the face, sweep the hands from the center between your eyebrows, down around the cheeks to the center of your chin and back up the sides of the nose and repeat several times.
- Next, starting with two fingers behind the ears massage however feels good all around the ear area; ear lobes, behind the ears and really squeezing the tops of the ears on the cartilage.
- Now with just the index and middle finger massage in a small clockwise direction on the point of the third eye for around a minute. Just above the point between your eyebrows.
- Lastly, move your fingers to the very top of your head, the area associated with the crown chakra, again massage in a circular direction for just a minute.
- To finish and ensure the benefits of this nurturing practice absorb properly into the body, wrap your head with a warm towel and rest for at least ten minutes. To really refresh you can then wash your hair as usual. The benefits of this practice will carry you beautifully about your day.
Choose your ayurvedic oil based on your current concerns
Kapha body oil- Spirited helps to alleviate lethargy, flu-like symptoms and revive the senses when feeling low and listless.
Vata body oil- A comforting blend to balance the Vata energies within us that govern the nervous system. Surrender supports you to decompress when feeling anxious, while relax aching bones and encourage a restful sleep.
Pitta Body oil- A blissful blend to balance the Pitta energies governing the body's biochemical changes.
Serenity helps to pacify a fiery mood, strengthen joints and soothe inflamed skin.
If you want to focus on just the head and the scalp, our hair oil is the perfect choice.